Thursday, November 7, 2019

THE CHILDREN OF BRIDGET AND WILLIAM GRAINGER

The Children of William & Bridget Matilda Grainger.

WILLIAM DAVID GRAINGER. Born 29 June 1891 in Hartlepool.
William was baptised at St Hilda’s, Hartlepool, 17 July 1891.He died in1964.
          Cliffy Wanley knew him as Davey, perhaps to avoid confusion with his Father also William? I will call him Davey for the remainder of this article.
                Davey passed his 2nd class mates certificate on 15 Jan. 1914 in West Hartlepool, Cert. No. 55009 RNR No. 1276EA.
         Davey was a good rugby player; he played Hartlepool Red Rose, Hartlepool Rovers and also played for Durham County on three occasions. An ex neighbour of mine, C McLoughlin, Honorary Secretary of Durham County R.F.U. says Davey just seemed to vanish off the local rugby scene, perhaps this is when he moved to Portland? I wonder if he played for a team whilst living in Portland?
                                                                                                             Davey was married twice. I have been told he first wife was a beautiful woman and that she committed suicide. I’m lead to believe she was called Lillian May (Surname Unknown.) I was told they might have had four Children. I have the names of three of his children from his first marriage, they are; Irene, Evelyn and David… possibly William David (Sansom) Grainger and a fourth child. William David Sansom Grainger died aged 17 in 1941 at the time the family were living at 14 Raby Rd, West Hartlepool.
                                                                                                        I think Davey’s second wife was called Rhoda and I have been informed they had twins Nellie (She died aged 8 in 1937.) and James Horsely Grainger.
It was James Horsley Grainger’s widow; Gwyneth who ended up with William Grainger’s Gallantry and Long Service Medals. I have located a death of a Rhoda Grainger in 1958 but do not know at present if this was the Rhoda that Davey married. The children who died WDS & Nellie Grainger are buried together at West View Cemetery, Hartlepool in Plot 03 Row U Number 11.
                                                                                          Davey lived in Portland for a while and was in Submarines during World War One. 
                                                                                                            In a letter to The Mail, Hartlepool 17th Jan. 1972 Titled PAGING MR GRAINGER, Irene Gwin from Australia informs the readers that Dave Grainger was her Father, that he played Rugby for Hartlepool Rovers and had joined the Royal Navy. Her letter then confuses me a little as she states she has a Brother Jim (James Horsley Grainger?) but then goes on to say John is her only brother and she thought he had worked in a shipping company in Hartlepool. Maybe John & Jim are the same person?

JAMES FOX GRAINGER. Born 21 Dec.1892 in Hartlepool.
He died in September 1957.James had six children with his wife Mary Elizabeth (Boagey.) .The Children were:
Ellen Horsley Grainger b 26 Sept.1914 at 8 Wood St Hartlepool,
James Fox Grainger b 31 Aug 1916 at Angel Inn Yard, Hartlepool,
William Alexander Grainger b 23 Feb.1920,
Esther Matilda Grainger b 22 Dec 1921 at 26 Henry St. Hartlepool,
A Gladly still Living Grainger b 9 March 1924,
George Hunter Grainger b 15 Oct. 1926 at 26 Henry St, Hartlepool
James’ wife Mary Elizabeth (Boagey.) died in July 1934 aged 43.
The role of Mother was taken up by Ellen (Nellie.) the eldest child… it can’t have been easy.
He also fathered a son whilst he was a Widower. I will not give details of this son, as the chap is still alive and may not want his information passed on. I can say I have met him and although he doesn’t have the Grainger name he looks very much like William Grainger SGM 1864-1946. 

In the late twenties or early thirties, the family moved to Sea Terrace, Middleton, Hartlepool. I have been told it was because times were hard and that the rents were cheaper in Middleton.
                                                   James seems to have been a character and a one off. I’m told he was very intelligent, but would not put this to full use. He could speak six languages; this came in handy during his time working as a foyboatman as he could talk to the Captains of Foreign ships. He spoke in German when he was drunk. Cliffy Wanley recalled that on Empire Day, Sea Terrace Middleton was a long line of Union Jacks … except for James’ house which had the RUSSIAN FLAG unfurled. Cliffy did state that James was a bit of a Commie. Jimmy Grainger told me James was known as King of the Tunnels…This apparently refers to the tunnels at the bottom of Church St West Hartlepool, which was one gateway to Middleton. If James was in a fighting mood he would go down the tunnels to challenge strangers coming into Middleton. 
                                                                                              I sent for James’ Naval record which backs up the “Character.” Theory. It states that the Army Council did not consider him a deserter. I thought this could mean he waited to be called up to the Army and then ran off to join the Navy. James Roach (Grandson of William & Biddy.) later confirmed this to be the case. James Fox Grainger’s record also informs the reader that he joined the Royal Navy on the 17th of June 1915. It also gives us some information about James’ appearance…
Height. 5ft 8 ½ in.
Chest. 41 inches.
Eyes. Grey.
Complexion. Fresh. 
Also tattoos …
Right Arm. Clasped Hands. 
Left Arm. Heart & Anchor and Heart & Clasped Hands.



EVE MATILDA GRAINGER. Born, New Year’s EVE 1897 in Hartlepool. Baptised at St Hilda’s, Hartlepool 26 Jan 1898. Died in 1985.
Eve is the Mother of Clifford William Wanley, who has helped the graingergroup cause by telling us his memories of people and places. He was given the middle name of William in honour of his Grandfather. Eve married Ernest Fletcher Wanley in 1919. He was given the name Fletcher after the Doctor who brought him into the world.
MARGARET ANNIE GRAINGER Born, 11 Sept. 1899 in Hartlepool. Baptised 4 Oct 1899.  She died in1945 aged 45. She was known as Aunt Peg and also as Mag. She married Walter H Calvert in 1921. They had one son; Victor. Walter Calvert left the family to work as a postmaster in Chile. As far as I know he was never seen again and I’m told he never sent for the family to join him
ALICE MAY GRAINGER Born 29 May 1902 in Hartlepool. Baptised 22 June 1902.She died in 1949 aged 47.She married Edward Michael Roach (Teddy.) in 1927. Later that year their son James E Roach was born. Like Cliffy Wanley, James Roach had some family memories that I was grateful to hear. 
ROBERT ALEXANDER GRAINGER Born 16 March 1905. Baptised 26 April 1905.Died 9 Jan 1906. The poor little fellow didn’t manage to reach his first birthday. I am told that he just turned blue and died.
ETHEL ROSE GRAINGER  Born 2 Nov. 1907. Baptised 24 Nov 1907.
Ethel married John Jackson. They had a boy and a girl.
                                                                                               
                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment

THOMAS GRAINGER

Thomas Grainger. 24/2/1849 – 1930. Thomas Grainger was the eldest of George and Isabella Grainger’s children and like his brother was b...